Green beans with Meat - Fasolia / Loubieh
Green Bean Stew with meat served over Vermicelli Rice also known as Fasolia فاصوليه if you are from Syria, Jordan or Palestine and Loubieh لوبيه if you are from Lebanon.
Anyone from the middle east or even some countries in Europe have grown up with a similar version of this dish. It is the ultimate comfort food and it reminds me so much of my mom's house. The smell of garlic in the tomato sauce is just so heavenly.
“ My kids always loved Teta's (grandma) food when she would visit us or we visit her, so I made sure to get my recipe as close to hers as possible ”
Fresh green beans are always best to use with this meal as it gives that yummy crunch at the end. I use Top Sirloin beef as a choice of meat and cook in a garlic tomato sauce. I used the instant pot pressure cooker to cook it but can use any pressure cooker.
Here is what you need:
2 lb Top Serloin Beef cut into cubes
Small yellow onion sliced
1 bay leaf
12 cloves of garlic
1 small can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
2 lbs Fresh Green beans trimmed and cut into 2 pieces
Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Method:
1. In the instant pot, on Sautee mode, Sautee meat until brown with sliced of onions.
2. Add a bay leaf and Season with salt, pepper, paprika and 7 spices
3. Add about 8 cups of water to cover meat
4. Cook under pressure for 20 mins
5. Strain the meat broth to remove the foam/film that the meat produces after it cooks so by straining it you will end up with a nice clear broth.
6. Return broth and meat into pot
7. Add trimmed and fresh Green Beans
8. Crush 6 garlic gloves and add 6 whole ones into the pot
9. Add 1 can diced tomatoes
10. Add 1 small can tomato paste (dilute paste in some of the beef broth prior to adding into pot)
11. 1 Tablespoon salt
12. 1 tsp pepper
13. Stir, cover and cook under high pressure for 18 mins
14. Serve over Vermicelli Rice
Stove Top Method:
1. In a large pot, sauté meat until brown with some sliced onions
2. Add about 8 cups of water to cover meat and bring to boil
3. Strain the meat broth to remove the foam/film that the meat produces after it cooks so by straining it you will end up with a nice clear broth.
4. Add a bay leaf and season with salt, pepper, paprika and 7 spices
5. Cook meat in broth for 30 mins
6. Add trimmed and fresh Green Beans
7. Crush 6 garlic gloves and add 6 whole ones into the pot
8. Add 1 can diced tomatoes
9. Add 1 small can tomato paste (dilute paste in some of the beef broth prior to adding into pot)
10. 1 Tablespoon salt
11. 1 tsp pepper
12. Stir, cover and cook for 35 mins until beans are soft
Enjoy with slices of red bell pepper
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please give me your feedback by commenting below.
I would love to hear if you made this recipe
Tag @falafeldiva on Instagram and hashtag it #falafeldiva
Photo Credit: Kinda Arzon Photography www.kindarzon.com