Updated: May 14, 2020
Making super creamy and yummy hummus from scratch is very easy and fast! Forget about the store bought ones in plastic containers. This is one of the best recipes for homemade hummus!
Growing up as a very picky child in the middle east, Hummus was the only thing I would eat since we didn't have much variety of "kid snacks" available. You would eat what your mom cooked or go hungry! In my case, Hummus was like my peanut butter.
“Today happens to be International Hummus Day, where millions of people around the world celebrate their love for hummus. I thought it will be the perfect time to create this blog post! ”
#Hummus is #vegetarian #appetizer is mainly made with chickpeas, Tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt. I wanted to put together this recipe tutorial to share with everyone who loves Hummus and want to make it at home from scratch using fresh ingredients and dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas). I recently bought an instant pot and was able to make perfectly smooth and creamy hummus fast and quick without having to soak the beans for 2 days.
So yalla , Lets get started....
You can find the dried chickpeas in a bag at you local grocery store in the dried beans department or you can buy them HERE on amazon.
Here is what you need:
1lb dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
Instant Pot or Pressure cooker
4 cups Water
4 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice 4 crushed garlic cloves
1 cup Tahini paste
Salt about 2 teaspoons
1. Wash about 1lb of dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas) in a strainer
2. Add beans into the Instant Pot and cover with about 6 cups of water
3. Cover. Set Instant Pot to 40 mins under High Pressure
4. Once time is up, click cancel and let the instant pot release pressure on its own for about 10 mins. 5. After 10 mins do a quick pressure release by opening the valve and allowing the steam to release quickly 6. Open lid and you will find perfectly cooked beans from dried state to soft within an hour!
**If you don't own a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, you can make Hummus the traditional way by soaking the dried beans garbanzo in water for 2 nights. Wash well. Saute in a large pot with 1/2 tablespoon baking soda then cover with water and boil. Let simmer for about an hour until fully cooked. From this point you can follow the steps below
7. Drain the beans. Preserve the liquid and refrigerate both until cool.
9. While it's still blending, add the 1 cup of tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt
10. Slowly add small amounts of the cold preserved chickpea water until the hummus mix reaches the desired creaminess/smoothness.
11. Using a spatula, place Hummus dip into a bowl or plate. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
12. Garnish with whole cooked chickpeas and parsley. Serve with a splash of olive oil and pita bread.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please give me your feedback by commenting below.
I would love to hear if you made this recipe
Photo Credit: Kinda Arzon Photography www.kindarzon.com